Schiff Hardin and its lawyers have received numerous pro bono awards in recent years, including:
- "Award for Excellence in Pro Bono Service," The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois and the Chicago Chapter of the Federal Bar Association awarded this honor to Patricia Brown Holmes, partner and leader of Schiff Hardin's White Collar Crime and Corporate Compliance Group.
- The American Lawyer's "2009 Pro Bono 200" — In 2010, The American Lawyer ranked Schiff Hardin's pro bono program number 50 out of the top 200 U.S. law firms.
- "Unsung Hero" Award — Awarded in March 2010 to Schiff Hardin partner Roger Pascal by the Chicago Appleseed Fund for Justice for his commitment to pro bono causes.
- The Edwin A. Rothschild Civil Liberties Award — Awarded in October 2009 to Schiff Hardin partner Heidi Dalenberg by the American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois for long-time service to ACLU initiatives, specifically, the "B.H." case.
- The First Annual Jane Beber Abramson Award — Awarded by the Center on Wrongful Convictions at the Northwestern University School of Law in 2008 to Ronald S. Safer for his devotion and resounding success as a pro bono defense attorney in the Julie Rea Harper case.
- Bill of Rights in Action Award — Awarded by the
Constitutional Rights Foundation of Chicago for devotion and skill in
representing clients incarcerated at Guantanamo Bay.
- 2008 Pro Bono Award — Awarded by the Chicago Legal Clinic, Inc. for outstanding efforts to make the legal system accessible to the poor.
- The American Lawyer's "2008 Pro Bono 100" ranked Schiff Hardin's pro bono program number 66 out of the top 100 U.S. law firms and among the top Chicago-based law firms.
- Ninth Annual Awards for Excellence in Pro Bono and Public Interest Service (May 2008) — Two Schiff Hardin associates, Joshua D. Lee and Amy M. Rubenstein,
received these honors from the Judges of the United States District
Court for the Northern District of Illinois and the Chicago Chapter of
the Federal Bar Association.
- 2007 Animal Protection Litigation Award — Awarded by The Humane Society of the United States for outstanding pro bono litigation on behalf of animals.
- Special Recognition — Schiff Hardin was honored by
the Chicago Appleseed Fund for Justice and the national Appleseed
network for its outstanding pro bono achievements and commitment to pro
bono causes at the "Building Strong Communities" dinner. Schiff Hardin
was a Benefactor of the dinner, and Fred Sperling, a partner in our Litigation Group, was a co-chair of the event.
- 2007 Award for pro bono services on behalf of Guantanamo Bay detainees — The National Legal Aid and Defender Program
- Father Cuchulain Moriarty Award — Awarded by the Lawyers' Committee of the San Francisco Bay Area to attorneys now at Schiff Hardin.
award recognized grants of asylum for three incest survivors from
Guatemala. The first win, in 2004, followed 2-1/2 years of litigation in
the immigration court. The immigration judge’s detailed decision set
forth a novel legal analysis and held that "Guatemalan females
stigmatized as mentally deficient" are a "particular social group"
worthy of protection under the Refugee Convention.
- Special Recognition — The Chicago Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
Hardin received this recognition in 2006, commemorating the 30th
anniversary of our role in landmark litigation challenging racial
discrimination in hiring and promotion by the Chicago Police Department.
- 2006 Volunteer of the Year Award — The Pro Bono Center for Disability and Elder Law
- 2006 Annual Excellence in Pro Bono and Public Interest Award — U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Atticus Finch Award — Chicago Volunteer Legal Services Foundation
Hardin received this award in 2004, commemorating the 25th anniversary
of the Schiff Hardin/Howard Area Community Center Legal Clinic — the
first time that a law firm has received this high honor. The award,
which is not awarded annually, is given to a person or entity that
exemplifies the legal profession's highest ideals.
- 2004 Pro Bono Initiative Honor Roll Award — The Public Interest Law Initiative
- Lifetime Achievement Award — Awarded to Roger Pascal,
who chairs Schiff Hardin's Litigation Group, received the Lifetime
Achievement Award in 2003 from the American Civil Liberties Union,
honoring his lifelong commitment to working for and defending civil
liberties through his work at the ACLU and other organizations.
- Edward J. Lewis II Pro Bono Service Award — Awarded in 2003 to Roger Pascal from the Chicago Bar Foundation for his pro bono work.
- Award of Appreciation and Gratitude — Presented to
Schiff Hardin by the Dodo Chapter of the Tuskegee Airmen for pro bono
services with respect to their trademarks and copyrights in 2003.
- Volunteer Service Award — The Glenkirk Foundation, 1998 and 2002.
- AIDS Legal Counsel of Chicago Award — Awarded to Schiff Hardin by the AIDS Legal Counsel of Chicago in 1999.
- Biggest Heart Award — Awarded to Schiff Hardin by The Hearts Foundation in 1999.
- Volunteer of the Year Award — The Howard Brown Health Center Legal Services awarded Schiff Hardin in 1997.
- Outstanding efforts to make the legal system accessible to the poor — Recognized by The Chicago Volunteer Legal Services Clinic's in 1996.