Sondra A. Hemeryck
Sondra A. Hemeryck has more than 15 years experience in civil litigation in federal and state courts at both the trial and appellate levels. She has successfully represented clients in individual and class actions involving a range of claims and issues, including:
- Bad faith
- Breach of contract
- Copyright infringement
- Trademark and trade dress infringement
- Misappropriation of trade secrets
- Defamation and related torts
- Successful defense in evidentiary hearing for preliminary injunction to enjoin the release of Warner Bros.' summer blockbuster "The Hangover Part II" based on claim of copyright infringement by the tattooist who created Mike Tyson's facial tattoo.
- Successful defense of purported class claims alleging bad faith, fraud and violation of consumer protection law against a major insurance company, resulting in dismissal of the case.
- Successful defense of purported class claims alleging civil conspiracy and violation of RICO against a major insurance company, resulting in dismissal of the case.
- Successful defense in a jury trial of $14 million breach of contract claim against the developer of the River East real estate project, resulting in a verdict for the defendant.
- Successful defense of purported class claims based on alleged failure to recognize vesting of stock options brought against Newell Rubbermaid and Rubbermaid, Inc. by four former employees of Rubbermaid, resulting in summary judgment in favor of defendants on all seven counts of the complaint and successful defense of the judgment on appeal.
- Successful prosecution of trademark infringement and misappropriation claims on behalf of Michael Jordan against Avon Products and M.Z. Berger.
- Representation of a small magazine publisher in a defamation case before the Illinois Supreme Court, resulting in an opinion establishing that the privilege to publish fair and accurate reports of official proceedings cannot be defeated by actual malice, and that there is no judicial action limitation on the privilege.
- Successful defense of multi-million dollar claims for defamation and related torts brought against the Chicago Crawford Currency Exchange and its president, resulting in summary judgment in favor of defendants on all counts.
- Successful defense of multi-million dollar defamation claims brought against the auditor of the Bank of Bellwood, resulting in dismissal of the complaint with prejudice.
- Successful defense in a jury trial of $28 million claim for breach of contract to act in a movie brought by Heaven Corporation against Michael Jordan, resulting in a verdict in favor of Michael Jordan.
- Successful defense in a federal jury trial of trade dress infringement claim against Thermos LLC, resulting in a verdict for Thermos.
Awards and Honors
Benchmark Litigation — Future Star
Leading Lawyer — Commercial Litigation; Trade Secrets/Unfair Competition, Illinois Leading Lawyers Network
Harvard Law School(J.D., magna cum laude, 1991)Editor, Harvard Law Review
Yale University(B.A., summa cum laude, 1987)Phi Beta Kappa
Honorable Richard D. Cudahy, U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit (1991-1992)
Chicago Council of Lawyers
Board of Governors
American Bar Association
Section of Litigation
Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section
Chicago Bar Association