We recognize that new lawyers can learn a great deal from observing senior lawyers at the top of their fields. We build those experiences into our Summer Program and encourage summer associates to watch our attorneys in action. Our lawyers take summer associates to court, to corporate negotiations, and to client meetings. We help summer associates further develop their legal skills through other meaningful “hands-on” experiences.
For example, some of our summer associates recently enjoyed the following observational opportunities in the litigation field:
- Attending an oral argument in a post-conviction proceeding before the state appellate court;
- Sitting in on depositions of key witnesses;
- Observing oral arguments on motions to dismiss and motions for summary judgment in state and federal court;
- Attending trials and other hearings in state, federal and bankruptcy courts.
Our summer associates have also taken advantage of observational opportunities in the corporate/transactional field, including the following:
- Attending an on-site due diligence review for purposes of a bank acquisition;
- Observing a will signing by private individuals;
- Sitting in on acquisition negotiations.
Summer associates also join in our pro bono activities. Schiff Hardin has a proud history and tradition of representing clients on a pro bono basis and our summer associates frequently engage in pro bono work. Since 1979, Schiff Hardin has staffed the Rogers Park Chicago Volunteer Legal Services clinic one night each month. Summer associates are invited to assist — to observe and participate in the intake process and work one-on-one with our attorneys in serving the community.